Friday, June 20, 2014

Mudrika Hamou - Settlement Counsellor

Mudrika Hamou


Country of Origin: Syria
Date Arrived in London: November 1981
Occupation: Settlement Counsellor - South London Neighbourhood Resource Centre

Why did you decide to settle in London? What do you like about London?

I immigrated to Canada from Syria with my parents at the age of 13.  When I came to Canada I didn’t speak any English. My parents chose London because they had heard from relatives that it was a great community and because of the educational opportunities it offered. I quickly integrated into the fabric of society and owe that to my wonderful peers and teachers at H.B. Beal Secondary School who helped to support me in my journey. London felt like home from day one. Once the youngest of my children was old enough, I realized it was time for me to get back into the community, give back for all it had given me, and work on my own personal development. Today, I am a proud mother of six, a part-time student at Brescia University College, an active volunteer and a full time employee.  


I have lived in London for over 30 years and it is my home. I am thankful to have spent some of my childhood and all my adult years here.  I grew up here and have had the pleasure of raising my children in this community. London has allowed me to pursue my dreams of a higher education and work full time simultaneously while maintaining a healthy relationship with my family and friends. I have felt comfortable in London, whether it be in the workplace or with my neighbours. London would not be home, were it not for its welcoming and warm community – something I work very hard to emulate in my life and with my own relationships.

How are you involved in the London community (employment, volunteering, community organizations, etc.)?

I first got involved in the London community through my kids school and my local Mosque.  Since then, I have volunteered as a facilitator for the Women of the World Arabic speaking group with the Intercommunity Health Centre, and work full time as a Settlement Counsellor for South London Neighbourhood Resource Centre.    

What message would you like to share with newcomers to London?

First I would say, visit your settlement agencies.  There are lots of good services to help you get settled.  London is a great city for the family.  There are lots of activities and parks.  Choose the best neighbourhood for yourself and your kids.  


What message would you like to share with the broader London community?

As a face of London, I represent the Londoner who is working hard to achieve her dreams while maintaining a balance at home and raising a family. Also, I believe it's always good to give.  We should all get out and be more involved in our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

;