Friday, June 20, 2014

Lina Hernandez - HR and Communications Manager


Lina Hernandez


Country of Origin: Colombia
Date Arrived in London: August 2004
Occupation: HR and Communications Manager, Cross Cultural Learner Centre 

Why did you decide to settle in London? What do you like about London?

We decided to settle in London because it is a small city that is very well located. It also has many good universities and colleges.   I like London because it has all the resources, tools and good energy to help newcomers succeed

How are you involved in the London community (employment, volunteering, community organizations, etc.)?

As the Human Resources and Communications Manager for CCLC, I am involved in many activities within the London community. I organize events with different cultural groups and partners, some examples are The Community Cup, Life as a Refugee, International Women’s Day, Pride, Culture Days, etc. I also volunteer my hours as a HR Mentor with Fanshawe College.

What message would you like to share with newcomers to London?

I would like to show and share the story and experiences of many successful newcomers to London. It is difficult for all of us when we start but hard work, effective use of resources and positive attitude will help them succeed. There is a big light at the end of the tunnel and to quote Aerosmith “the light at the end of the tunnel may be you!”

What message would you like to share with the broader London community?

I would like to demonstrate that newcomers are a great part of our London Community. We have skills; talent and education that can help any organization reach their goals faster. I would like to show the London community that newcomers are a great way to move forward into the future.

2 comments:

  1. Yesterday I participated in "Who's Joe" event at Edgar + Joe Cafe. I just wanted to share my message at this great initiatve.
    - I’m Joe!
    - I face stigma, exclusion, and barriers because I am a newcomer to Canada.
    - I, and others like me, are stigmatized because we are different, or misunderstood, or feared.
    - But let me tell you the truth about me and people like me
    My name is Lina Hernandez, and I am from Colombia, I am a mother, I am a lawyer, I have a master’s degree in political science and economics and I also hold a business diploma, And I'm pleased to talk with you about a topic that is near and dear to my head and my heart: Living as an immigrant in Canada. I hope that this is important to you as well.
    According to the Joe Friensen, Demographics Reporter for the Globe and Mail in his article “Why Canada needs flood of immigrants”
    Between now and 2021, a million jobs are expected to go unfilled across Canada. Ottawa is making reforms to the immigration system but isn't going far enough. We need to radically boost immigration numbers. With the right people, Canada can be an innovative world power. Without them, we'll drain away our potential.
    Now let me ask you this: What does being a Canadian means to you? [pause] .
    For me and despite the fact that you are a new Canadian or if your family been Canadian citizens for generations, Canada is a nation that offers the opportunity to explore new prospects and the liberty to make personal decisions along life’s journey.
    For me being Canadian means the pleasure to be able to visit my neighbours no matter their race and to sleep peacefully at night; it means having the chance to freely express my opinions knowing that my country is a safe and welcoming place to live, to work and to raise a family.
    For all this, I and many immigrants are proud to call Canada “home”.
    I will now like to thank the wonderful team of people that made this event possible. With all your support we will continue to foster inclusivity and to build a welcoming community.
    - I’m Joe!
    Lina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good story Lina, we made some progress in helping newcomers to London, there is still lots to be done...just adding a Romanian quote - to appreciate the journey, one has to take it..

      keep up the good work!
      Michelle C

      Delete

;