Friday, June 27, 2014

Mohammed Osman Yassine - Accountant


Mohammed Osman Yassine


Country of Origin: Lebanon
Date Arrived in London: November 1976
Occupation: Accountant - Osman's Accounting Services

Why did you decide to settle in London? What do you like about London?


In 1976, during the civil war in Lebanon I sailed from Lebanon to Cyprus.  The motor on our boat gave up part of the way through the trip and we were stranded on the sea for 48 hours.  Finally, I flew from Cyprus to London.  



London is the first Canadian city I lived in.  Occasionally, I felt home sick as I missed my childhood friends, my parents and my relatives in Lebanon. Interestingly, when I lived away from London for seven years in Windsor, where I was studying, I missed London and my homesickness was for London. 

In London, I established my life, my friendships, my business and raised my family.  Beyond being clean, safe and beautiful, London is home to my beautiful three year old granddaughter, my two boys, two sisters and many cousins and friends along with their extended families. London has all the ingredients for a decent life and the opportunity to grow and raise families. Today, as I have been for many years, since the first few years of my arrival, I am proud to call London my home.

How are you involved in the London community (employment, volunteering, community organizations, etc.)?

Early on I got involved in the Palestinian social club.  I also joined the London Muslim Mosque. I actually composed a song and went and sang the song around campfires with children.  Later I joined the city of London Race Relations Committee and served as the treasurer for the Cross Cultural Learner Centre for many years.  I also founded the Association of London Muslims to integrate the Muslim community without assimilation.

Apart from my career, I’ve worked with individuals from the Church, Synagogue and Mosque to have interfaith dialogues where individuals from different faiths understand and respect each other.

I’ve volunteered at the Islamic Centre as well as at the Food Bank. I coordinated the collection of loads of non-perishable food items for the food bank and also meat during our Eid celebrations annually.

What message would you like to share with newcomers to London?

 In London I established my life, my friendships, my business and raised my family.  It is a clean, safe and beautiful city,  London has all the ingredients for a decent life and the opportunity to grow and raise families. Today, as I have been for many years, since the first few years of my arrival, I am proud to call London my home.


What message would you like to share with the broader London community?

Don't see Canada as a country that belongs to one group or another.  Canada is the mosaic land.  We have this sense of coexistence.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

;